Wednesday, August 7, 2013

First Impressions

Read about each team member's initial impressions of Japan.  These responses were originally compiled on the 3rd day of the American Homestay Program (7/24/13).

Each team member was asked to answer the following questions.
1) Any culture shock moments in Japan?
2) What encouragement have you received from the Otawara Church?
3) If you could bring one thing back from Japan to the USA (gadgets, culture, food, style), what would it be?
4) Any misconceptions about Japan that have been changed?
5) If you only prayed for one topic (need, hope or desire for Japanese people) for the rest of your life, what would it be?

Happy Reading!

Catherine (aka Kato)
1) Culture shock: They walk and drive on the left side of the road. Also bowing for everything.
2) Encouragement from Otawara Church: How friendly & welcoming everyone has been.
3) One thing would bring back: Culture - the cleanliness of everything; how safe it is (no/ little crime)
4) Japan misconceptions that changed: When I heard we were going to be in the more rural area, I was expecting rice paddies everywhere (There are quite a few, but people don't need it to live off of it).
5) One prayer for Japan: For people to be more open to religion and not see church as something scary/threateningly)

Jonny (aka Jonnnnnnnnnnnyyyyyy)
1) Culture shock: Japanese people are extremely responsible when it comes to throwing away trash.
2) Encouragement from Otawara Church: The Otawara Church have such a heart for the gospel even in the face of the hardness of heart
3) One thing would bring back: A luggage full of ramen
4) Japan misconceptions that changed: That all Japanese people are well socialized and accepting of different lifestyles
5) One prayer for Japan: Gospel to take hold of the Japanese heart

Karen (aka Ka-len)
1) Culture shock: Not as much.
2) Encouragement from Otawara Church: The way they persist b/c the church has older crowd. It's hard to minister to the community.  They have such faith in what God called them to do.  The church just came together and helped for the American Day Camp, especially this year.  Also, they're not afraid to talk about the gospel, and they get surprised by the results of the conversations.  For example, Tomio talked with Kano's mother, an English teacher, and shared why our team came to Japan.  She seemed to be touched that we were here as volunteers not only to teach English but to share Christ's love.
3) One thing would bring back: Quality, sometimes we go for what's cheapest but what we get isn't as good.  I think their respect for service/quality makes me think about my attitude with others, whether in ministry/work/in general.
4) Japan misconceptions that changed: People are always serious.  I think they have a huge leeway for the children [culture to not discipline children in school].  Then as they grow up the become more stoic.
5) One prayer for Japan: For Pat & Tomio, they had goals to build a certain number of churches in their lifetime (15??).  They have been at Otawara for some time, and I learned this year that Otawara was very difficult already, so they may not be "on schedule" or their missions plan may be different.

Megan (aka Megumi)
1) Culture shock: On the bus from the Narita Airport to Utsunomiya, we had to be absolutely quiet while riding (~3 hours).  It was sooo hard- I felt like screaming
2) Encouragement from Otawara Church: Tomio & Pat serving so faithfully and how involved and supportive they have been throughout the planning and each day of the American Homestay Program!
3) One thing would bring back: The part of Japanese culture where people are so polite, respectful, and do not interrupt each other.  Japanese people know the value of silence.
4) Japan misconceptions that changed: They are not as stiff as I thought.  People don't bow as low as I thought.
5) One prayer for Japan: I would pray for God to provide avenues for Japanese people to make positive relationships with the church so that they would come to know and love Christ.

Will (aka Will tou moshi masu aka Will.I.Am)
1) Culture shock: Not particularly, I have to say "Yes" a lot
2) Encouragement from Otawara Church: Devotions by Ohashi Sensai and stories about God doing work presently.
3) One thing would bring back: The Japanese people's honesty
4) Japan misconceptions that changed: It can be cool during same here.
5) One prayer for Japan: Harvest is plentiful but the workers are few so pray that God provides workers.

Xinxin ( aka Xinxin [: )
1) Culture shock: Since they drive on the left side of the road, I always looked the wrong direction for cars when crossing the road. So dangerous! 
2) Encouragement from Otawara Church: The entire church mobilized for the children's program. It was encouraging to see God's people doing His work in Japan! 
3) One thing would bring back: 7-11
4) Japan misconceptions that changed: I thought that Japanese people would be very open and liberal (Tokyo Drift maybe?) but they are very conservative and closed. 
5) One prayer for Japan: I pray that the negative stigma surrounding Christianity will disappear, that more missionaries will find opportunities and desire for Japan. 

Blessings,
Japan Mission Team

0 comments:

Post a Comment